Investing in a generator ahead of the winter season for all those power shortages is a good idea. Don’t know which power generator will be suitable for your housing needs? Are you looking for portable and silent generators that will make less noise and get the job done? Are you reluctant to spend money on generators?
All these questions can be puzzling, so we have rounded up a perfect purchasing guide that will answer all your power generator buying needs.
What Should You Look For In The Ideal Portable Generator?
Power generators are important to keep you out of the dark in times of natural disasters, hurricane emergencies, or basic light outs. With so many versatile options available, it can get overwhelming to decide which one will be perfect for you!
Worry not, we have made an extensive list of features and technical specifications you should look out for!Here are the main things that you should be considering when looking for the best 12000 Watt portable generator.
Value over price
Investing in a power generator is a huge decision.Especially if you’re going to spending hundreds of dollars for a decent watts one, you must analyze all the options. One very important thing you must consider is the overall value that the product is offering. Do you think the technical specifications are all you should look at? Well, you’re wrong.
You should also look at the brand that the product is coming from. A true value for money comes from products that have excellent support and customer service. Look for brands that are offering value while also suiting your power generating needs.
Power generator essentially used in places of power shortages and failures is also an alternative power source. The handling of the generator should be an easy task, so as not to cause any hindrance during times of emergency. Most generators come with a supplementary wheel kit, which makes the generators more mobile.
When looking at maneuverability as a criterion for a power generator, establish the purpose of buying it. If you need it for your RV/camping, the generator should have a strong metal outer body.It should also have good wheels so that it can work on any terrain. If you’re looking for a generator for home, look for compact models that can be fit into your home easily.
You might have heard duel-fuel on various advertising campaigns for leading generators, but do you know what it means? Dual fuel tanks give the user the freedom to use either of the fuels- gasoline or propane.
Dual fuel technology is beneficial as its environment friendly. This technology is preferred over gas-run generators because there’s no guarantee of any fuel sources during emergencies.
Warranty and free technical support are given when it comes to any electrical appliance. But a power generator is a huge investment, and you must go through the terms and conditions of warranty beforehand. Refund criteria for faulty products and the valid return period should also be noted.
The watts on the power generator can be decided only after you assess the need for it. The wattage needs vary depending on the different applications you can use it for. Moreover, power needs differ from the house, job site, camping, and RV needs.
Most purchasers get mixed up between running and starting watts. Starting watts is the maximum power produced for a short period to get your appliances started. On the other hand, running watts is the power consistently (and dependably) generated as long as the generator is running.
Customer service/after installation assistance
Most brands have great technical specifications and features for their power generators. But what happens when your power generator starts showing signs of trouble? The brand should have a reliable customer support team to assist you in resolving any issues. A strong technical support team can work wonders on creating brand-loyal customers.
If you cannot resolve the issues, you will have wasted hundreds of dollars on hoarding metal junk. When deciding on the best 12000 Watt portable generator to go for, do extensive research on customer assistance.
Top 12000 Watt Portable Generator 2020
1. DuroMax XP12000EH Dual Fuel Portable Generator – 12000 Watt
With DuroMax MX2 technology, get the concentrated power from each of the 120 Volt receptacles. Choose between operating the generator at both 120 V and 240 V simultaneously, or at 120V only with full power. With such great power at an unbeatable price, DuraMax XP12000EH is a serious competitor to DuraStar DS12000EH.
With 12,000 Watts of starting power, this DuraMax generator can power all kinds of home appliances along with high amperage power tools. All copper windings make this product last longer than other generator competitors.
– Huge 8.3-gallon duel-fuel tank runs on gas/propane
– The heavy-duty all-metal frame is very durable
– Built-in spark arrestor for quiet operation
– After assembly, weight is 224 lbs
2. Westinghouse WGen9500 Heavy Duty Portable Generator – 9500 Rated Watts & 12500 Peak Watts
Westinghouse WGen9500 comes in the dual-fuel model, which gives you the flexibility of choosing gas or propane as the fuel. The noise level of the open frame 457cc Westinghouse OHV Engine (Cast Iron Sleeve) is not too bad. WGen9500 comes with 9500 Watts included Key Fob, Electric, and Recoil Start on a 6.6-gallon fuel tank with fuel gauge.
All outlets have rubber covers for extra safety. There are varied options for outlets: Two GFCI 120v 5–20r standard household receptacle, one RV ready 120/240v 14–50r, one transfer switch ready 120v l14-30r, and two 5v USB Ports.
– Lightweight compared to other competitors at 220 lbs
– Remote start distance of over 100 meters
– Excellent run-time on gas at 12 hours for a 50% load
– Poor customer care service
– Might have a startup problem in extreme cold weather conditions
– Cheap quality of wheels might pose a threat during emergencies
3. DuroStar DS12000EH Dual Fuel Portable Generator-12000 Watt
This powerhouse generator is powered by a 457cc, 18HP DuroStar OHV Engine, which gives the user a maximum of 12,000 Watts of power. DuroStar DS12000EH is the perfect choice for all your housing generator needs.
The wattage is enough to power all household appliances and central air conditioning. Outlets include: 2x 120V household GFCI, 120V 30A twist lock, 240V 30A, 240V 50A. With so many options for outlets, you are sure to find an outlet for your power generating needs.
– Run-time on gas for 50% load is up to 8.8 hrs; on propane for 50% load is up to 7.2 hrs
– Keyed electric start and optional recoil start
– No oil filter for engine
4. Pulsar 12,000W Dual Fuel Portable Generator PG12000B
The Pulsar PG12000B is the most convenient and budget-friendly option for new buyers of power generators. It has to drop-down handles for mobility, and the 10″ wheels are of good quality. The Pulsar PG12000B’s dependable Switch & Go technology allows you to seamlessly transition between 2 fuel sources while in use.
This Pulsar model has low oil shut-off, 3-in-1 digital meter, and automatic voltage regulation for easy handling. The engine produces 12, 000 W peak/9, 500 W running on gasoline & 10, 800 W peak/8, 550 W running on LPG.
– 8-gallon fuel tank running on gasoline or liquefied petroleum gas
– Powerful 457cc, OHV, Air Cooled engine
– Reliable and versatile
– Not suitable for camping
– If steel braces removed, they can turn very loud
5. All Power America APGG12000GL 12000 Watt Dual Fuel Portable Generator with Electric Start 12000W
The APGG12000GL is extremely powerful with a 459cc OHV Air Cooled Engine with an electric push start. It is easy to use and has a large 8-gallon fuel tank that supports gas or unleaded gasoline. Moreover, switching between the fuel options is effortless.
With a tough built and quiet engine, you are sure to have the best experience in this price range. All Power America APGG12000GL runs flawlessly for all home appliances and other remote applications.
– It can be used for mobile home applications and camping
– Value for money
– It can run for upwards of 10 hours on a 50% load
– Initial set up trouble
– Wheels are plastic, not the most durable. Wheels need to be assembled, can be difficult for amateurs
6. Rainier R12000DF Dual Fuel Portable Generator with Electric Start – 12000 Peak Watts & 9500 Rated Watts
Rainer R12000DF runs on duel fuel for freedom to choose fuel options from gas and propane. There are different outlet options to suit your power generating needs. One l5-30r 120v 30a outlet, two 5-20r 120v 20a GFCI household outlets, one 14-50r 120/240v 50a outlet and one l14-30r 120v 30a outlet.
Additionally, two grounding ports also provided. This Rainer Power Generator also comes with low oil and overload protection alarms for the safety of your appliances.
– Suitable for RV, wheel kit includes two 10” inch wheels
– Strong 457cc OHV 4 Stroke Rainier Engine for unparalleled performance
– Versatile and efficient power generating sources can be used at home, at job sites, and or while camping
– Unreliable quality of outer body material
7. Champion 12,000-Watt Portable Generator with Electric Start and Lift Hook
Volt Guard built-in surge protector prevents overloads with various outlet options.One 120V 30A locking, a 120/240V 30A locking, a 120/240V 50A, and four 120V 20A GFCI outlets. The Champion generator keeps your appliances and equipment safe while offering ultra-powerful 15,000 starting Watts and running 12,000 Watts.
There is also a lift hook provided for safe transport during loading and unloading transport. Moreover, it has cold start technology to have you covered for all those extreme cold weather conditions and power failures. The price might be a little on the expensive side, but it provides accessibility for work and household-related applications.
– Excellent outer frame design for maximum ease for movement
– Unfailing 717cc V-Twin Champion engine with its battery-included electric start
– Low-oil shut off
– Noise generates a high of 78 dB, can be too loud at under 23 feet distance
– Expensive compared to other 12,000 watts generators
8. All Power America APGG12000 12000 Watt Portable Generator
Excellent quality and very powerful 18HP 459cc OHV air-cooled engine comprise the All Power America gas-powered generator. The generator also includes an hour meter, maintenance-free battery, and flat-free wheel kit.
The 7KW/10KW and the 240 volt / 30 amp outlet will run all home appliances without skipping a beat. It is very easy to set up and install. This All Power America APGG12000 generator is a true value for money at such affordable rates.
– Useful for emergency power supply for home and light industrial purposes
– Running time 10 hours at 50% load capacity
– Great customer support
– No dual-fuel technology works only on gas
– Cheap material of the outer body
– The high operating noise of 76 dB
– Extremely heavy at 240 lbs
9. A-iPower SUA12000ED 12,000 Watt Dual Fuel Portable Generator
A-iPower SUA12000ED has a digital control pad for switching between fuel options. It has an extremely durable outer body. Moreover, the generator has weather-resistant cover for all-year-round operating needs.
There is also dual starter, electric, and recoil starter for when the battery is left unused for long periods. A very compact fuel tank of 6.6 gallons of A-iPower SUA12000ED still gives an unbeatable performance.
– Good power backup with an excellent running time of 16 hours at 50% load
– Low oil shutdown
– No voltage meter and wattmeter by the (selectable) receptacle
– Below average technical support
To sum it up!
Purchasing a power generator online can be a tasking process. After reading the buying guide, take care of all the necessary features that you want. Dependability is not a luxury, but an essential no matter where you go. Buy with confidence and discover the comfort of having a power generator to keep you sorted during emergencies!